JAFFA CAKES RECIPE ~ This year I will try to experiment with different popular desserts from all across the world. Some cliché, some unique. Let’s begin with the Jaffa Cakes, which are British tea-time biscuit sized sponge cakes made with chocolate and orange-flavored jam. This delightful snack was introduced by @mcvitiesofficial in England in 192. Here is healthy version for you all.
For the base:
- 75 gram any gluten free flour (oats/sorgham/buckwheat) or maida
- 50 gram ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil/butter (melted)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 4 tbsp milk of choice
For the orange layer:
- 1/2 cup (120ml) orange juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp agar agar
TIP: Alternatively you can use shop bought marmalade instead of making the jelly
- 100g-150g any chocolate of your choice and left to cool.
- 1. Preheat your oven 180°c in a large bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- 2. Pour in the coconut oil/butter, maple syrup /honey and milk.
- 3. Mix to combine. Lightly oil a muffin tray and transfer about 1.5-2 tbsp of the batter into each of the muffin tray cups.
- 4. Bake for 10 minutes. Leave to cool completely.
Method for orange jelly
- 1. Add all the jelly ingredients into a small saucepan and cook on a medium/high heat mixing continuously until it starts to boil.
- 2. Take off the heat, pour into a wide bowl and leave to cool.
- 3. Once the jelly has cooled down, transfer into the fridge to set.
Method to assemble
- 1. Cut out rings from the jelly, smaller than the width of the base.
- 2. Top each base with a jelly ring (or a small tsp of marmalade if you don’t want to make the jelly), then drizzle some melted chocolate on top.
- 3. Transfer to the fridge and leave for about 15 minutes until the chocolate has set.you can store them in fridge for 3 to 4 days. ENJOY!!
HOPE!! YOU LOVED THIS DELICIOUS JAFFA CAKES RECIPE. FOR MORE VISIT WWW.HUNICK.COM AND KEEP SUPPORTING. COMMENT ME YOUR FAVOURITE RECIPE ON HUNICK.COM.